So I have been blog-tagged (blagged? togged?) by Francine of Callaloo Soup, meaning I need to respond to a few questions. Hm. This is new for me, man. Let’s give it the ye-olde college try…
3 Jobs I Have Had
1. Barista and entertainment booker at the Blackwater Cafe, Stockton, California. Ask me about booking Cake back in the day!
2. "Advertising coordinator" at Guaranty ("Guaranty-Guaranty-Guaranty!") RV, Scotts Valley, California. Ask me about the housesitting-for-the-boss debacle that led to my inglorious exit from this rather stupid position! (Hint: Empty econo-size Skyy bottle floating in hot tub + four people sleeping in boss’ bed + one person sleeping in boss’ dog’s bed while dog whimpers and pees in the hallway = not being invited back to housesit. Or work. Hee hee.)
3. Publications manager for a biotechnology company in Santa Cruz, California, which shall remain unnamed (though it wouldn’t be hard to figure out which one it was). Ask me about my bosses, John and Brenda the Chupacabras!
3 Movies I Could Watch Over and Over
1. The Jerk ("I don’t need this stuff, and I don’t need you. I don’t need anything except this [picks up an ashtray]
and that’s it and that’s the only thing I need, is this. I don’t need
this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and
the paddle game and that’s all I need. And this remote control. The
ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that’s all I
need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote
control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle
game and the remote control and the lamp and that’s all I need. And
that’s all I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one – I need
this! The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the
matches, for sure. And this! And that’s all I need. The ashtray, the
remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.")
2. Monty Python & the Holy Grail ("So… if she weighs the same as a duck… then she’s… made of wood?" "And therefore…" "A WITCH!")
3. The Princess Bride ("You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.")
4. (gratuitous addition, but I’ll spare you the quotes) Almost Famous, Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Raising Arizona, the list goes on…
3 Places I Have Lived Besides Where I Live Now
1. Stockton, California (ages 3-17, plus brief stint at age 19). 209… represent!
2. Santa Cruz, California, the land of fruits and nuts. Where I learned to love "June gloom" and hate hippies. Ahh, Santa Cruz. How I miss you!
3. Davis, California. Like Santa Cruz, but pretty much without any of the cool funky groove and with a lot more engineering students.
3 TV Shows I Love to Watch
1. "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" …my main TV news source
2. "Penn & Teller’s Bullshit" …a recently-developed obsession
3. "Modern Marvels" …as long as it’s about something like cotton or bricks or plumbing and not about machine guns or anything else relating to World War II
3 Places I Have Been on Vacation
1. El Centro, California. Yes, I know it doesn’t sound like a vacation hot spot. But let me tell you, when you’re in elementary school and not allowed to watch TV freakin’ ever and then for two or three weeks every summer you drive down to this horrendous desert wasteland and get to stay in a motel room and watch as much TV as you want every day and swim in the swimming pool and play Dungeons & Dragons with your sister in the walk-in closet… it’s freakin’ heaven, man.
2. Savannah, Georgia. My little taste of the Deep South. (Yes, I know Savannah is nothing like most of the rest of the South. Wouldn’t have it any other way.) Mom, Herm and I took our girls’ trip there last year… remember?
3. Paris. The only time I’ve been to Europe, ever. We went for a week in February 1999, when I was seven months pregnant. Walked around so much there were times we feared Fisher would be born with dual citizenship.
3 of My Favorite Foods
1. Dude. Mashed potatoes. Frickin’ totally. The old-school kind with most of a stick of butter and a cup of sour cream.
2. Filet mignon, medium-rare, with crumbled blue cheese and a shallot-port reduction.
3. See’s candy, specifically dark chocolate raspberry creams, chocolate lollypops and/or California brittle.
3 Places I’d Rather Be Right Now
1. Portland, Oregon, with a sloe gin fizz and a signed contract for a Sellwood bungalow in my hand. Or just hanging out at happy hour at the Doug Fir ($2.50 cheeseburgers… $2.50 mashed potatoes… $2.50 soup…)
2. Hokkaido, Japan. Just always wanted to go. Snow monkey see, snow monkey do.
3. Curled up on the sectional at Joe and Karan’s house snacking on brownies and checking out cards on Splitcoast while intermittently yelling at Joe to quit messing with the Tivo.
3 Bloggers I am Tagging
Has anyone else not done this yet? I’d tag Constance Benham over at Very Like a Whale but I think these questions might not be germane to her mission.
Hell, I didn’t get to the cat-blogging yet, did I? Hold that thought ’til next Friday.